What to do about a child who does not like to brush their teeth
- Posted on: Oct 30 2020
Do you have a toddler that resists brushing their teeth or a child that fights oral hygiene? Please understand that you are not alone! Many parents who visit DeStefano Dentistry have concerns about their child’s oral health due to defiance in brushing and flossing. Dr. Thomas J. DeStefano of Pittsford, NY educates parents on ways to make oral healthcare easy every day!
What to do about a child that refuses to care for their smile
If your child struggles with working with you on caring for the teeth with proper brushing and flossing habits, here are a few recommendations from our team to consider:
- Seek reinforcement from a professional. Sometimes, it can help to bring children to DeStefano Dentistry to allow our team time to educate your child on the importance of oral health and wellness. Sometimes having a dentist to “back you up” can instill a more positive attitude towards brushing and flossing.
- Let your child take control. Instead of forcing brushing and flossing to your child, let him or her take the rein. Using toothpaste and a soft-bristled brush, let your child start the process and then finish helping them at the end. Sometimes giving them more control is the key to compliance!
- Change toothpastes. Some children do not care for the flavor of certain toothpastes, such as mint. There are many toothpastes on the market for children that have different flavors which may be more desirable.
- Allow your child to be involved. Let your child pick out a fun toothbrush from the store and be more involved in the process to encourage compliance.
- Sing a song. Children should brush for at least two minutes, so start singing a song to not only distract your child but make caring for the smile fun and entertaining!
Do you need extra assistance in helping your child understand the importance of good oral health habits?
Take the time to speak to Dr. Thomas J. DeStefano and his team at DeStefano Dentistry to learn more about the ways in which you can encourage proper oral health habits in the home each and every day! Call the office at (585) 248-2383 to schedule a consultation with our professionals. We are here to help!
Posted in: Pediatric Dentistry