The link between oral health and nutrition
- Posted on: Sep 30 2021
A topic of conversation and years of research is that of nutrition. We are always completing studies to determine the best food for our bodies. But did you know that there is a link between your diet and your oral health and wellness? Patients who have a diet high in sugars and acids and do not take good care of their smiles may be dealing with the consequences. Dr. Thomas J. DeStefano of Pittsford, NY is a dentist in the community who can help educate patients on the importance of good oral hygiene and a proper diet!
How nutrition affects your oral health
Over the years, there have been many books published in the area of food and inflammation. Inflammation is a common buzz word being used today in the health care field. It is a major factor in the field of chronic diseases, and continues to be evaluated to determine the specific links. It may be caused by certain foods that are high in lectins, such as tomatoes, potatoes, and wheat. However, there are other ways for patients to focus on their oral health through the foods they eat. This includes maintaining healthy habits.
Below are just a few tips to improve nutritional habits and maintain good oral health and wellness:
- Limit beverages and foods that are high in sugar
- Reduce between-meal snacking to reduce acid exposure to the teeth
- Avoid mints and hard candies
- Limit acidic foods including citrus fruits which can increase acids in the mouth
- Chew sugarless gum with xylitol to help reduce the risk of cavities
- Brush your teeth after every meal to remove plaque and bacteria that contribute to acid development in the mouth
- Floss after every meal to remove food particles from between teeth and along the gumline
Ready to learn more about the link between oral health and nutritional choices?
Contact DeStefano Dentistry today! Call (585) 248-2383 to request a consultation visit with our team at 600 Kreag Road. Dr. Thomas J. DeStefano is available to assist new and established patients and families interested in achieving—and maintaining—good oral health and wellness. Schedule your appointment with our team to educate yourself further on making smart choices when it comes to diet and nutrition for you and your family.